Tuesday, March 27, 2007

New Zealand Spanks Children

Big People Should Not Hit Little People.
I am the father of 3 girls, I weigh 250 pounds thats 18 stones or 115kgs. My eldest girl weighs 29 pounds 13kgs. I weigh 8 times more than her. If anyone thinks it is right for me to hit her (hit is another word for spank, the correct word) I welcome your comments.

I can find no situation, absolutely no scenario, where I could or would every justify hitting her, can you? I use my language, my voice my intelligence to parent my children. If I couldn't teach, nurture and control her by using my voice and sense of reasoning I would consider myself a failure.

In New Zealand there is a proposed bill in front of parliament essentially banning spanking. The New Zealand people are incensed and defending their right as parents to hit their children.

This is 2007 and while I agree that government intervention in life is often too intrusive, in this instance I simply cannot believe there is any defense to the right to hit children. We can't hit our spouses, we cant hit people in the streets who annoy us. It is actually getting harder to use self defense as a justification for violence but we can hit children. Are you proud of that?

No comments: